Featherston Heritage Trail
A walk around Featherston's Historic Sites
This information is kindly provided by the Featherston Heritage Museum
More detailed information signs are available at each site location.
1. The Old Courthouse*, Public Library* and Museums Complex ~ 70 - 72 Fitzherbert Street
- Featherston Information Centre (located in Featherston's Historic Courthouse),
- Featherston Library
- Fell Locomotive Museum* (Logo is registered with Historic Places Trust)
- Featherston Heritage Museum (including Featherston's 1928 Vintage Model A Ford Fire Appliance)
2. Methodist Church* ~ Fitzherbert Street
- The original Methodist Church, built in 1878, was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1881.
3. World War I Memorial* ~ Corner of Fitzherbert and Fox Streets
- Built as a memorial to Featherston soldiers killed in WW1 and unveiled in 1927. Names of those killed in WWII were added circa 1946.
4. Tarureka Historic Donald Homestead* ~ Corner of Revans and Donalds Streets
- 1868 residence and historic stables. Also the site of an early butter factory.
5. Burt's Shop and House* ~ Corner of Waite and Revans Streets
- William Burt opened a bakery and built this shop in 1878 - 79.
6. The Cox Building* ~ 81 Fitzherbert Street
- One of the first stores in Featherston, built in 1870 - 72.
7. Featherston Schoolmaster's House* ~ Clifford Square
- The original Featherston Schoolmaster's house, built in 1880.
8. Featherston Anzac Hall* and Featherston Kiwi Hall* ~ Corner of Birdwood and Bell Streets
- The Anzac Hall was opened 16th October 1916, this building was a recreation facility for servicemen of Featherston Military Camp.
9. Featherston Original Doctors' Residence* ~ Corner of Johnston and Bell Streets
- The residence and practice for Featherston's Doctors from the late 1890's until 1993.
10. Card House ~ Corner of Johnston and Bell Streets
- The home of Featherston's first Mayor, John Wiltshire Card MBE.
11. Old Card Home and Cordial Factory ~ 33 Bell Street
- A cordial factory, serviced by a large well, operated in the early 1900's.
12. The Hodder House* ~ 23 Wakefield Street
- Build by Joseph Hodder in 1881, this house remained in the family until 1966.
13. Cross Creek Cottages ~ 11 and 13 Fox Street
- These two cottages were relocated from the former railway settlement of Cross Creek at the foot of the Rimutaka Incline.
14. Viles House ~ 29 Fox Street
- The original stables stand at the rear of this 1890's cottage.
15. Hunter's Corner Shop and Cottage ~ Corner of Fox and Johnston Streets
- A former Store, Tailor's Shop and Tearooms dating from the 1890's.
16. Anderson's Building ~ 19 Fitzherbert Street
- Successive businesses have operated from this shop since the first General Store opened here around 1875.
17. Old School Building ~ Corner of Fitzherbert and Revans Streets
- Built in 1921, this building was used as a School until 1983.
18. Dorset Square ~ Corner of Moore and Ludlum Streets
- This Reserve was provided for in the original 1856 Featherston Town Plan.
19. Original Viles Home ~ 1 Fitzherbert Street
- Josiah Viles operated a Butcher's Shop in this house between 1876 and 1894.
20. Cundy's Cottages ~ Corner of Revans and Bethune Streets
- The home of the pioneer bullock wagon operator, Charles Cundy.
21. The Royal Hotel* ~ Revans Street
- The Royal Hotel was built here in 1869, burnt down and was rebuilt in 1893.
22. Site of the Former Cosy Theatre ~ Fitzherbert Street
- Film-goers were entertained here for nearly 70 years from 1916 onwards.
* Registered with the Historic Places Trust